Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Teakettles

"What about a teakettle? What if the spout opened and closed when the steam came out, so it would become a mouth, and it could whistle pretty melodies, or do Shakespeare, or just crack up with me? I could invent a teakettle that reads in Dad's voice, so I could fall asleep, or maybe a set of kettles that sings the chorus of "Yellow Submarine," which is a song by the Beatles, who I love, because entomology is one of my raisons d'etre, which is a French expression that I know."

These are the opening lines of my new favorite book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
And I found out it's being turned into a movie that comes out January 20.
I'm super excited for it to come out and I'm hoping there's a midnight showing somewhere...
However, I'm already doubting it a little because in the book, the kid (Oscar) only wears white clothes and in the movie they have him in normal clothes all the time. That's not something important enough to be bugged about but for some reason I feel like the white has meaning that won't be accurately portrayed in the movie.
ANYWAY.
That's not what this is about. 
This is about the fact that this book has so many amazing quotes in it and I can't wait to finish it. 
I'm almost done!

Here's a few...

"I felt, that night, on that stage, under that skull, incredibly close to everything in the universe, but also extremely alone. I wondered, for the first time in my life, if life was worth all the work it took to live. What exactly made it worth it?"
"So many people enter and leave your life. Hundreds of thousands of people. You have to keep the door open so they can come in, but it also means you have to let them go."
"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself form happiness."
"It's the tragedy of loving, you can't love anything more than something you miss."
"When I looked at you, my life made sense. Even the bad things made sense. They were necessary to make you possible."
"There's nothing wrong with not understanding yourself."
"Literature was the only religion her father practiced. When a book fell on the floor he kissed it, when he was done with a book he tried to give it away to someone who would love it. If he couldn't find a worthy recipient, he buried it."

It is seriously an amazing book and everyone should read it. :)
On another note, I have big news!

Alpha Chi Omega had elections this week and I'm excited to tell you that I was voted 
VP Philanthropy!
And T-Shirt Coordinator!
Woooooo!
These are the positions I wanted and I'm so excited!
VP Philanthropy is on the exec board and t-shirt coordinator is a non-exec position.
For t-shirt chair I'm in charge of all the t-shirts the chapter wants/needs to events.
And for Philanthropy I'm in charge of planning all the events that benefit our philanthropy. These include Dollar Days, Alphatraz, etc.

I plan on adding a lot more than 2 events per year and I can't wait to get started.

Goals before next semester::
-Grades
-Fix my friend issues
-Finish this stack of books





No comments: