Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Virginia (Is For Lovers)





I recently made a 2,260 mile trip across the country to the wonderful state of Virginia to visit my boyfriend Sean. My brother-in-law Jake re-wrote the calendar in the kitchen so it said "VIRGINIA! is 4 lovers" so I decided to keep that title for this trip. :)
It was amazing! 9 hours of traveling later...
I don't know if you've ever been to Virginia, but its WET. Err... Humid, as normal people would say. I say wet, because that's what it feels like coming from Utah.
Anyway, I packed up two very full, very heavy suitcases and moved across the country for 18 days. That's longer than I was in Europe! It was the best 18 days.
We went to Busch Gardens the first weekend. Military personnel get one free ticket per year. How cool is that? It was so much better than Lagoon (sorry). There were lots of roller coasters, of which I only participated in two. I can't do floor-less rides... I've gotta have something to brace myself on. It was a super fun day.
While there, I was surprised with Adam Lambert tickets. AHHH! I don't know if you know what that means, but it was fantastic. Poor Sean had to suffer through, even though it "wasn't as bad as I thought." I think he kind of enjoyed it. :P
One of the days (they all kind of start blending together...) we went to Sean's command picnic. Which is a big picnic for all the people and families on the USS Enterprise (cool, huh?). They had lots of food, drinks, a mechanical bull, and beach! What more could anyone possibly want?

1,123 ft long.
$451.3 Million.
2,700 Sailors, 150 Chiefs, 150 Officers, 250 Pilots, and 1,550 Support personnel.
Commissioned November 25, 1961.


(thanks wikipedia, for the hopefully correct stats)
USS ENTERPRISE CVN-65

This thing is MASSIVE! I've never seen anything like it in my life. I was privileged enough to be able to go on board, look around, and tour the ship (while taking pictures!). I was amazed at how condensed yet huge this ship is (not a boat, mom). I can't talk to much about it because I don't know what I can and cannot say. Although I'm sure I don't know any classified information, or else I'd be dead.
I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you.
Ya know?
Either way, it was amazing, and definitely one of the many highlights of the trip.




I am so lucky to have such amazing opportunities in my life. Doing something like this is something that not a whole lot of people can say they've done. Buuuut then again, there's a lot of things I haven't done, so I guess it's a fair trade. :P

To celebrate July 4th we had an ABC Party. Anything but Clothes.


(Ben, Jeff and Kimmy, Sean and I, Jen and Mike)


We had that on the 3rd, and then on the 4th we went to the harbor and watched the Navy Band play followed by fireworks.
AT&T was giving out glasses that were supposed to make the fireworks 3D (aren't they 3D already?). They ended up just looking like this. It was painful actually... Needless to say, the glasses didn't last long.



We went to Melting Pot on the last Saturday. Dessert was the bes part, of course, but it was all delicious. Mmmm...
It was an amazing trip all in all, and I'm sad that I'm home. I can't wait to go back :)





Sorry this entry was more pictures than words. You just have to get used to that with me.
:P







XOXO,
K.

1 comment:

Jake and Kim said...

I'm Jealous:
1. You got to go to Virginia, I really want to visit that state!
2. You got to spend 18 days playing with your man.
3. You went on an extremely large, extremely cool SHIP.

Glad you had so much fun!!!